The Enchantress is a comic opera in 2 Acts with book and lyrics by Fred de Gresac and Harry B. Smith and music by Victor Herbert. It ran at the New York Theatre, New York from 19 October 1911 until 20 January 1912 (104 performances).
| VIVIAN SAVORY, an opera singer
|| Kitty Gordon
| MOUMOUTE, her aunt
|| Hattie Arnold
| MARION LOVE, an American Heiress
|| Nellie McCoy
| PRINCESS DIANA, of Russia
|| Ida Fitz Hugh
| PRINCESS STEPHANEE
|| Venita Fitz Hugh
| PRINCESS STELLINA
|| Louise Bliss
| PRINCESS POPPY
|| Nina Barbour
| PRINCESS FLORIA
|| Mabel Berra
| PRINCESS BERENICE
|| Dorothy Berry
| PRINCESS HORTENSIA
|| Clarisse Gilberte
| PRINCE IVAN OF ZERGOVIA
|| Harold Ford
| TROUTE, Head of the Secret Service
|| Ralph Riggs
| POFF, the Prince Tutor
|| Gilbert Clayton
| MILOCK, Regent of Zergovia
|| Harrison Brockbank
| OZIR, Minister of War
|| Arthur Forrest
| PRINCE ZEPI
|| Bertram Fox
|| Katherine Witchie
ACT I - The Royal Palace of Zergovia.
- No. 1 - Opening Number - Six Princesses - "In long, long trains and corsage écolleté, with maidenly smiles disarming..."
- No. 2 - Duo - Prince Zepi and Princess Stephanie - "I was a shy little, coy little maid; he was a brave cavalier..."
- No. 3 - Duet - Troute and Poff - "On the avenue walking you see just ahead..." (4 verses, and dance)
- No. 4 - Entrance of Regent - "Give a greeting with loyalty to the proxy of royalty, for our gentlemanly Regent is approaching."
- No. 5 - Song - Regent - "Some people seem to fancy that this life's a serious thing..."
- No. 6 - Entrance of Prince Ivan - "I've travelled around this gay old world, all kinds of girls I've met..."
- No. 7 - Entrance of Vivien - "Here is she who rules us by her charm and grace! Queen of song, enchantress..."
- No. 8 - Song - Poppy and Girls - "When a girl is just beginning her career of husband winning..."
- No. 9 - Duo - Vivien and Prince Ivan - "Rose, lucky rose, tho' your life is but an hour, she has held you, happy flow'r, to her breast."
- No. 10 - Finale Act I - "My temporary subjects loyal, I yield the Regency today, for your Prince has come of age..."
ACT II - At Vivian's House on the Banks of the Danube.
- No. 11 - Opening Chorus - "We are having dreadful weather ... Don't you think it's time to go? ..."
- No. 12 - Song - Stellina and Chorus - "Mamma is a queen and papa is a king; so I am a Princess, I know it..."
- No. 13 - Goldfish Song - Vivien - "Come, little fishes of golden hue, I've something awfully nice for you..."
- No. 14 - Duo - Troute and Moumoute - "I'm a millionaire hidalgo, with me dear you must, and shall go to the land of Spain..."
- No. 15 - Duo - Vivien and Prince Ivan - "A King! What is it to be King? A puppet crown'd whose life is not his own..."
- No. 16 - Madrigal - Six Princesses - "Once there was a very happy little Princess, long, long ago..."
- No. 17 - Song, with variations - Marion - "There was once a simple little tune, a sweetly pretty thing..."
- No. 18 - Dance (Troute and Mina)
- No. 19 - Song - Vivien and Ozir - "If you have a secret and would keep it all your own, trust not a friend, trust not a foe..."
- No. 20 - Finale Ultimo - "I can resist not, I love you, love you, let the world say what it may..."
MIDI files copyright © 2008 Colin Johnson All Rights Reserved
- External Link
- The Enchantress at The Guide to Musical Theatre
American Musical Theatre
Page created 25 November 2016 Copyright © 2016 Paul Howarth All Rights Reserved