Mexicana is described as a "Mexican Comic Opera." The book and lyrics are by Clara Driscoll and Robert B. Smith and the music by Raymond Hubbell. It was produced at the Lyric Theatre, New York on 29 January 1906.
| JOHNNY ROCKS (a Wall street broker)
|| Thomas Q. Seabrooke
| TITA (an Indian girl, vendor of pottery)
|| Christie Mac Donald
| CAPTAIN CARMONA (an officer of the Mexican Army)
|| Joseph Herbert
| JUAN ADRIAN (an Indian pulque seller)
|| Edward Martindell
| SENORITA MARGARITA JUAREZ
|| Caro Roma
|| (daughter of the governor of a Mexican State)
| RODRIGO CORTINEZ
|| Edmund Stanley
||(a Mexican of wealth and leader of the Revolutionists)
| SENORA MENDOZA (aunt to Tita)
|| Maggie Moore
|| Blanche Deyo
|| Harry Wallace
|| Almon Knowles
| DUENA TO MARGARITA
|| Miss Ford
ACT I - The Market Square of a Mexican Town. Early morning.
- No. 1 - Opening Chorus - "Day break and all is well. The city wakes and doffs its sleeping spell. Night is dying, day is hieing, mystic shadows fleet away..."
- No. 2 - Song - Captain Carmona and Chorus - "It's customary in a man of my exalted station to tell to you just who he is and what, but I will entertain you..."
- No. 3 - Song - Rodrigo - "When the cause you espouse needs your aid, and there's powder and smoke in the air, you must give up your work-a-day trade..."
- No. 4 - Duet - Marguerita and Rodrigo - "When you came ev'ry night and lingered long beneath my lattice, had you no love at all for me? ..."
- No. 5a - Scene - Juan and Tita - "Tita! Tita! Hark to the voice of your lover, waiting and longing for you. Long tho' the days may be, promise you'll wait for me..."
- No. 5b - Song - Tita - "On the gabled top of a village shop dwelt a gilded weather vane; in the simple minds of the simple winds she was anything but plain..."
- No. 6 - Entrance of Johnny Rocks, and Song - "Why, goodness gracious sakes alive! The Yankee's going to arrive. Come, hurry! one and all prepare..."
- No. 7 - Trio - Johnny Rocks, Tita and Captain Carmona - "What is it that the poorer class can feel but never see? ... It isn't money, is it? ... Not at all! ..."
- No. 8 - Finale Act I - "What now! What means this awful row? The Captain, my Captain! I'm just in time I vow. Release him knaves, straightway..."
ACT II - The Patio of the Hacienda of Rodrigo Cortinez. Noon of the next day.
ACT III - The Borda Gardens on the Night of a Fiesta.
- External Link
- Vocal Score at IMSLP
American Musical Theatre
Page created 23 January 2017 Copyright © 2017 Paul Howarth All Rights Reserved