Gilbert and Sullivan Archive
GRAND DUKE DISCUSSION
ALSO OCCURRED IN 1896
DAVID DUFFEY: Other things were occurring in 1896:
- Richard Strauss wrote "Also Sprach Zarathustra"
- Puccini wrote "La Boheme"
- Chekhov wrote "The Seagull"
- The first modern Olympic Games were held
- William McKinley was elected President of the USA
- Utah became a state of the US
- Anton Bruckner died
- The Nobel Prize was instituted
- Rutherford achieved the magnetic detection of electrical waves
- Becquerel discovered radioactivity
- The Klondike gold rush began.
- The Niagara Falls hydroelectric plant opened
- The Dreyfus affair was at its height
- Kaiser Bill sent the Kruger Telegram
- Harriet Beecher Stowe died
- The 52yearold Sarah Bernhardt was playing Juliet in London.
ROBERT JONES: Rontgen discovers X-rays
ANDREW CROWTHER: The premiere of Jarry's Ubu Roi, the first real Absurdist drama. Strange to think that in the same year as The Grand Duke the French were rioting over the shocking first word of Ubu ("Merdre!")
Page created 23 March 1998