The Charlatan is a comic opera in three acts with music by Sousa and book by Charles Klein. It was first performed at the Academy of Music, Montreal on 29 August 1898, and at the Knickerbocker Theatre in New York City on 5 September 1898.
|| De Wolf Hopper
| PRINCE BORIS
|| Edmund Stanley
|| Mark M. Price
|| Alfred Klein
| CAPTAIN PESHOFKI
|| George W. Barnum
| GRAND DUKE
|| Arthur Cunningham
|| Harry P. Stone
|| C. Arthur
|| Nella Bergen
|| Alice Judson
|| Katherine Carlisle
| GRAND DUCHESS
|| Adine Bouviere
- No. 1 - Opening Chorus - "Mountebanks, come waken from your dreaming, golden dawn is breaking in the sky..."
- No. 2 - Songs - Katrinka, Demidoff and Chorus - "As the agent in advance of Demidoff the Grand, Magician to the Czar..."
- No. 3 - Quartette - Anna, Katrinka, Demidoff and Jelicoff - "A navigator sailing on the seas..."
- No. 4 - Scene - Anna, Katrinka, Boris, Demidoff and Chorus - "Caballa! Abdalla! Hawoka! Sulon!..."
- No. 5 - Solo - Anna and Chorus - "When the wintry moon is bright, and the curtain of the night is illumin'd by the stars..."
- No. 6 - Finale Act I - "Love's the pleasure, Love's the pain, Love's the sickle, Love's the grain..."
- External Link
- Vocal Score at the Internet Archive.
American Musical Theatre
Page created 31 October 2016 Copyright © 2016 Paul Howarth All Rights Reserved